All family relationships are important now and in the future but some are harder to maintain when parents separate or divorce

Although grandparents have no automatic legal right to see their grandchildren in the event of a divorce or separation, the importance of a grandparent’s involvement following a family breakdown is becoming increasingly important and, by extension, increasingly recognised by the courts.

In many cases where neither parent is able to care for their children, it is the grandparents who have to become their long-term guardians and to do that they need to secure the right legal status.

We have the legal experience to provide you with the guidance and support you will need whether you want to become your grandchildren’s legal guardians or simply maintain contact with your grandchildren after your own child divorces or separates.

Alternatively, if you have given or loaned your children or grandchildren money it is important to ensure that money is properly protected so it does not become the subject of dispute during divorce or dissolution proceedings. We at Collins & Hoy can advise you in relation to this.

At Collins & Hoy we are also experienced in acting for third parties (known as intervenors) during financial proceedings following divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership where a dispute has arisen as to whether a gift was to the couple or to one person or whether the advancement was a loan or whether assets belonging to a third party are in fact marital assets.  This can have an important impact on deciding the final financial settlement but again it is an area we have the expertise to guide you through.

It is also important to ensure you plan for the future. You need to have a Will in place to make sure you know exactly what will happen to your assets and your possessions in the event of your death. This is a service Collins & Hoy can provide so you have complete peace of mind that your family will be looked after in exactly the way you want them to be.

If you are a grandparent who has been affected by one of your children divorcing or separating and want to discuss what you need to do to maintain access to your grandchildren or any other matter discussed above, please email us at or call us on 020 8866 1820.